Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Food Stamps

When I applied for this position, I was told, 'As an AmeriCorps VISTA member you will be eligible for food stamps...'

Food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), is a federal program that helps low-income individuals and families buy the food they need. SNAP eligibility is largely based on income. People living at or below the poverty line and with minimal additional assets are eligible, according to the federal standard. States have the option of expanding eligibility to include people who might be technically living above the poverty line but still need help accessing adequate and nutritional food. Colorado and Jefferson County (where I live) generally sticks to the federal guidelines when determining who is eligible and at what assistance level.

Although SNAP gives AmeriCorps the option of not paying their 'volunteers' more because they are eligible for SNAP assistance (an ethical choice? perhaps not.), the process of actually accessing this aid has been quite difficult. Let's take a look at why.

Firstly, what remained unsaid by the AmeriCorps representatives was this aid would be dependent on other assets I was holding prior to joining AmeriCorps. I only discovered this fact when trying to plan out my budget and I discovered that, according to some random benefits calculator, I was not eligible for SNAP aid. When I brought this to the attention of my AmeriCorps liasons, they made me feel like I was the dumb one for not realizing this in advance. I recognize that, if I have savings, I might be in less need than someone who is truly living on edge. That said, I volunteered a year of my life to domestic service - it seems the least the government could do is ensure that I don't have to dip into my savings to buy basic food.

Secondly, this is a long process. And I mean looonnnnggggg - so far it's taken 6 weeks. About 10 days ago, I finally received a letter from the Jefferson County Department of Human Services, saying that I had an interview at 2pm...that afternoon. During my interview, it was clear my case worker had never heard of AmeriCorps and was totally confused by the concept. Here's an example (not verbatim) of how our conversation went.

Case worker: So you're unemployed?
Me: No. I have a full time job working with the Jefferson Conservation District. It's a part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, which means that I basically volunteer for the District and am paid a living stipend by AmeriCorps.
Case worker: Ok. So you're unemployed.
Me: Um, no.
(Later)
Case worker: So where do you live?
Me: I live in an apartment with a friend. We are both on the lease and split the rent.
Case worker: Where do you get the money to pay rent if you're unemployed?

You get the idea. Our interview lasted about an hour and left me feeling like my case worker has no idea what I'm doing and no sympathy for my situation. Yesterday I sent in the last of the paperwork she requested and now I'm waiting to hear the final verdict. Although the lack of clarity on the part of AmeriCorps and the lack of knowledge on the part of the county has been hugely frustrating, I'm still hoping to get some food assistance so I'm not stuck eating Ramen all year.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment